What if I told you that you could eat cookies for breakfast every day of your life, and that it would be 110% healthy? Stop dreaming, people. Your dreams have just come true.
Since I am currently in the midst of the (suprisingly stressful) summer months and am determined to sleep until 30 minutes before I have to be at work everyday (#senioritis starts early), let’s just say that waking up in the wee hours of the morning to take my time getting ready for work and eating a nice big breakfast just isn’t happening. Average morning? Wake up 10 minutes before I have to leave, find some clothes, grab a portable breakfast item, and roll out the door with not a second to spare. Emphasis on the “portable breakfast item:” that’s where these breakfast cookies come in.
Undeniably tastier than any granola bar you could possibly dig up, these Lemon Berry Breakfast Cookies are light, fresh, chewy, portable, and fantastic overall. (If you haven’t enjoyed a lemon-flavored baked good recently, you are just straight-up wrong, my friend.) There’s even a lovely hint of coconut due to the coconut oil. Foodie points!!! You could even try these with a smear of nut butter (read: sunflower seed butter) for extra protein, you could warm them up a bit in the microwave/toaster, or if you’re getting REALLY crazy, crumble up one of these cookies atop a yummy greek yogurt bowl.
And the best part it, these COOKIES are supremely healthy. COOKIES and HEALTHY are not always mutually exclusive, people!! Oats, coconut oil, berries…you might as well take a hot yoga and/or spin fusion class while you’re at it, you health nut you. Yeah. Cookies. Breakfast. Much healthy. Very yum. So breakfast. Many happy. (#sorrynotsorry #doge5eva #TooManyHastagsForAFoodBlog???) Which reminds me, follow @ElizasEdibles on the Twitter machine, you won’t regret it!!! But alas.
And if you’re looking for another healthy cookies recipe…consider making some of my incredibly popular Secretly Healthy Chocolate Brownie Cookies!
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour (or flour of choice)
- 2 cups oats
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup chia seeds or ground flax (optional)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and flax/chia (if using).
- Next, gently stir in applesauce, banana, honey, maple syrup, coconut oil, cinnamon, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Fold in the frozen mixed berries.
- On a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, scoop batter (about ¼ cup) and flatten the tops of the cookies slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are just golden brown and the tops are set.
- Let cool on a baking sheet, then refrigerate or freeze the cookies.
(Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats)
P.S. July is still the best month ever. But in all honesty, I seriously kinda sorta miss school a lot.