Ahhh, summer. Summer is for lazy afternoons by the pool and long, sunny days. But summer is not for spending hours by a hot oven (in an already hot house), just to put dinner on the table. Or any meal, for that matter! So during the summertime, I like easy.
This Arugula-Tomato Pasta is the definition of easy. With only a few ingredients, and minimal stove top time, you can be enjoying a delicious and light pasta dish that’s perfect for the warmer months. Filled to the brim with fresh baby arugula and sweet, warm blistered cherry tomatoes, it is also the perfect way to use up some of your farmer’s market bounty. Plus, the chickpeas and feta cheese add some tasty protein, while the whole wheat pasta is chock full of fiber. It’s healthy and filling too! It’s even great served chilled, which is especially appealing this time of year. Make some leftovers! You will definitely want some for lunch the next day. Or seconds at dinner.
Even though it is kind of a salad, this is hearty and big! The perfect all-in-one meal. And it is so fresh.
- 6 oz. whole wheat penne
- 3 c. baby arugula
- ~1½ c. cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ c. feta cheese
- 2 T olive oil (divided)
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
- Boil penne until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1 T olive oil.
- Saute the garlic in the skillet for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the skillet, and cook until they begin to blister, about 4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Mix arugula, chickpeas, feta cheese, balsamic, remaining olive oil, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add cooked penne and tomato mixture, including any olive oil left in the skillet.
- Stir everything up and enjoy!
(inspired by this recipe)
Make, Eat, & Enjoy!